Facade Improvement Program
The Facade Improvement Program provides up to $15,000 for 50% of the total cost of storefront renovations & beautification. The base grant provides up to $12,500 for the purposes of completing storefront facade upgrades and beautification. For example, a business could get new signage, upgrade the windows and entrance way, install building-front lighting, and restore the heritage brickwork.
New this year, businesses can get an additional add-on to the grant of $2,500 for accessibility upgrades to help make your business entrance way meets AODA Standards. For example, the storefront entranceway could be widened, a permanent ramp could be added, and an automatic door opener could be installed.
The Facade Improvement Program is a great opportunity for property owners & business owners located in the Beach Village BIA area, as it allows you to improve your property frontage at a fraction of the cost, and helps businesses put their best foot forward in attracting customers!
2020 Deadline to Submit: May 7, 2020*
*It is recommended to submit ASAP as funding may run out before deadline
How to Apply
Funding for this program is given out on a first-come-first basis. Applicants must select 3+ facade improvements that they wish to implement by year-end, as well as any accessibility features that they wish to include in order to get the $2,500 accessibility top-up. Two quotes for each renovation must be provided to the city, which they will use to assess the value of the renovations. Grant funding will be assessed based off of the lowest of the two quotes.
Step 1: Collect two quotes for each of the three or more pieces of facade work that you wish to complete through the program.
Step 2: Complete and submit the application form as indicated in the application form.
Step 3: If approved for funding, you will go into an agreement with The City of Toronto – Economic Development & Culture Division.
Step 4: Once the facade improvements are completed and accounted for, the city will provide the grant funding to the successful applicant.
Completed applications are to be submitted to:
City of Toronto BIA Office
Phone: (416) 392-1005
What Can I Apply For?
The grant WILL cover the following:
- Brick cleaning treatments such as power washing
- Re-pointing of brick masonry
- Exterior painting (not including the painting of brick) as part of other façade improvements
- Replacement of doors or windows (on any level on the front facade of the building)
- Replacement or repair of cornice, parapets and other architectural features
- Installation or replacement of awnings or canopies
- Installation and improvement of signage
- Installation or upgrading of exterior lighting features
- Professional redesign of storefront
- Installation of wheelchair ramps and accessible entrances
- Other improvements as agreed to by the Manager at the City BIA Office
The grant will NOT cover the following:
- Brick painting
- Stucco work
- Window decals/clings
- Interior renovations
- Same-as replacement of existing features
- Cafe patios